Pages

Monday, August 24, 2009

Jail cells in Paradise


This isn't my usual sort of post, but I think it's important, I'm sure many will disagree!

I don't really know what it was that sparked my interest, but ever since Schapelle Corby was arrested in Bali, I have been a strong supporter. Perhaps it was my love of Bali, or that I could see my self in Schapelle - We're both the same age, have connections to Bali, have had similar upbringings. I believe she is innocent. Despite that fact, however, I would still support her. The guilt or innocence, in my eyes, is not and never has been the issue. She was never given a fair trial. Period. There's my issue.

OK, I'm getting ahead of my self here! I guess I should give a little info for those of you who haven't followed her case. Visit here for more info; http://www.freeschapelle.com.au/

Schapelle Leigh Corby, a 27 year old Australian was traveling to Bali Indonesia and was arrested on October 8, 2004, in the Denpassar airport after 4.2 kilograms of marijuana was found in her boogie-board bag. She was convicted of importing a group 1 narcotic and sentenced on May 27, 2005 to serve 20 years in jail and fined Rp. 100,000,000 (AUD$12,000 approx.) All legal and judicial appeals have been exhaustive. Schapelle Corby steadfastly maintains her innocence!

For the last 5 years, a dingy, disease infested prison cell has been her life. Before you start thinking "you do the crime, you do the time" I urge you to read her story. I'm not asking you to believe she is innocent, but I am asking that you understand the unjust she has endured. And when reading her story, I ask you to remember that this is a human being. No human being deserves to live like she does. No animal deserves it.
Schapelle Corby now cannot communicate coherently and suffers from a severe psychotic mental disorder that requires urgent repatriation to a suitable facility in Australia to have any hope of regaining her life. If she stays where she is now she will certainly die.
Her supporters are now urging us all to write to Kevin Rudd to make him aware of the dire situation she now finds her self in. You can find these letters on the above website. If you have a minute, please take a look at the site and make your own mind up.

1 comment:

  1. Jay,
    Many thanks for your support for Schapelle. Today alone we have had 200 people write letters to PM Rudd after logging on to www.freeschapelle.com.au . Her position is quite awful with the inability to talk coherently, delusions and psychotic episodes being her current way of life. Now that she has been found clinically insane it is important to realise that Schapelle is probably the only Australian held in a foreign prison while in this state. She needs to repatriated immediately to a suitable facility in Australia where she can get the correct care, and be in a location where she can be rehabilitated back to a normal life.
    Thank you for being so compassionate about another Aussie.
    Neville Wright
    Admin
    www.freeschapelle.com.au

    ReplyDelete

Thank You XX