Pages

Wednesday, May 9, 2012

on confidence and "faking it till you make it"


"Everyone's a star and deserves the right to twinkle."

-Marilyn Monroe


we all know that i've always struggled with my confidence. yadda yadda yadda...

after bali, i felt really good, like i had a while to go, but had come forward in leaps and bounds in the way of building my confidence.

then i had a counselling session, and realised i actually have a long while to go. don't get me wrong, i have done wonders in building my confidence, i'm much better now that i was, say, 2 years ago, but theres still a lot to do.

i was reading a blog the other day, i can't remember which one, but it was about developing confidence. the actual post wasn't as memorable as the comments. they were filled with women saying that they had faked it until they made it, most claiming to realise, one day, that they actually did hold the confidence they had been eluding to for so long.

it got me thinking.

where would one start?

for me, it would have to be posture. i watched a video of me in bali the other night and, wow, is my posture bad. it's sad, i hold my posture like that in order to blend in, to not have any notice taken of me. but it's the opposite effect that it produces, i look so sad and shy. so unsure of who i am, so unworthy of being in the company i am (my sisters?). yoga is a good start there. i think the main thing is being conscious of the way i am standing, sitting and walking at all times.

but where to from there?

i turned to google. it's always been my belief that if you weren't confident, you could never have the confidence to pretend you are.

there were lots of sites about the subject, almost everyone of them with high recommendations of the practice.

it got me wondering how many people i know, or encounter, are playing this game.

i think i might give it a go, i've tried almost everything else!

i don't really know where i'm going with this post, it's just a brain dump really, getting those thoughts out of my head. the first steps to doing something productive with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank You XX