Pages

Tuesday, September 4, 2012

real life awesome. karly nimmo

this is the second installment of the real life awesome feature. where i speak with people in my life who i believe are truly awesome. way more awesome than any hollywood stars. i hope you will too.


have you read the book the five people you meet in heaven? i recommend it if you haven't.

i got this;

...Then, on his 83rd birthday, Eddie dies in a tragic accident, trying to save a little girl from a falling cart. With his final breath, he feels two small hands in his -- and then nothing. He awakens in the afterlife, where he learns that heaven is not a lush Garden of Eden, but a place where your earthly life is explained to you by five people who were in it. These people may have been loved ones or distant strangers. Yet each of them changed your path forever.

from here.

if that's what heaven really is, i have no doubt that when (if) i arrive, karly nimmo will be one of the five people i meet.

i went to high school with karls but we reconnected years later through myspace and developed a close friendship through a love of social media, similar self discovery journeys and a general knack of being dorks.

karly is a constant source of inspiration to not only me but hundreds of people. after suffering depression a few years back she shifted her focus onto what makes her happy. finding happiness lead her to her passion of helping others to be also be happy by realising their potential.

karly is the person i go to for unjudgemental advice, she's the person i run my ideas by for an honest opinion. she is one of my biggest supporters and one of my greatest teachers.

karly owns her own voice over agency, killer kopy, runs her own well being website, think beautiful, runs vision board "funshops" through the soul correspondent, is currently in the processes of making one of her biggest dreams come true, the office collective and is a telstra womens business awards nominee,

i'm honored to call karly my friend.



what has been your biggest hurdle or opportunity for growth?

Hands down... depression and anxiety.  Shit place to be... but wow!  What an opportunity for growth!  I had to make some serious life changes and if it wasn't for depression knocking down my door (with a sledgehammer) I wouldn't have had such a great catalyst for change.  Depression made me look at everything in my life... and decide what was to stay and what was to go.  I spent hours with my therapist recognising and rediscovering feelings.  If it wasn't for this, I wouldn't be in the great flowing place I am now.
 
what is the best piece of advice you've been given and what did you do with it?

My Dad always used to say 'Do what you love and the money will follow'.  Happiness always comes before money.  He also taught me 'take calculated risks'.  I've always had the confidence to go after what I wanted because I knew that if it was something I loved, it would work out... also to do the sums - what might this risk cost me (not necessarily financially, but emotionally, spiritually or physically)?  And is it worth the pay off?  If it ticks the right boxes and gives me goosebumps or a fire in my belly, I go for it.
 
is there an event that was your turning point?

An old staff member of mine was holidaying in Bali, had a reaction to a food allergy, and died.  It was so sudden.  All over, red rover.  He was one of those people who seemed to squeeze every little last drop out of life.... and his life was about as juicy as one gets.  I watched his facebook status' in my feed and wondered why his life was so full and mine wasn't.  I felt twangs of jealous as I watched his life adventures unfold and his interactions with an amazing network of incredible and beautiful people that surrounded him... he had one hell of a posse and they were cool as fuck.  I truly admired the guy, but at the time I just couldn't admit that to myself.  Shame really... because just like that, he was gone.  And I never got the opportunity to tell him how cool I thought he was... or to sit down with him and find out what made him so passionate about life.  One thing becomes very clear when someone so young and full of life dies suddenly - life is short!  It can be short and sweet... or long and tedious.  That decision lies completely with you!  I decided I could sit around wishing I had a life like his... or I could start living one.  I chose the later.

Do you have any tricks to keep you on track?

My feelings are my compass to staying on track.  When I'm happy and all warm and gooey... I'm on the right track.  When I'm not, I feel sad, disappointed, angry (or any emotions on the negative spectrum) I know I've strayed from my path.  I realise that where I choose to go with those emotions is my responsibility.  I can choose to wallow, or move the fuck on and change what needs to change in order to get me back on the yellow brick road.

Who or what inspires you? 

It's funny.  It's not the big names - like Oprah, or Richard Branson, or Lady Gaga.  I mean, their courage to be themselves and follow their intuition and dreams is inspiring... but the people I find most inspiring are those who choose to make change.  Those people who go through their daily struggles and learn from them.  The average person who has a dream and is willing to give it crack.  The person who is in a shitty situation and decides to do something about it.  I guess, in a nutshell, it's those who back themselves.  Whether they are a celebrity or the guy next to me at the Post Office.

What little nugget of gold would you like to leave us with?

My little nugget?  The world around you is an outward expression of what's going on within.  Look at what it's reflecting... and if you don't like what you see, do something to change it.  For example, you're feeling judgement from those around you.  Check to see if there is judgement within you.  If something hits a nerve, there is a nerve there to begin with.  Perhaps you are judging others, or perhaps you are judging yourself (oh yeah... that old chestnut!).  At the end of the day you can't change others behaviour, but you can change your own.




thank you so much karls. xx

if you have any comments of questions for karly leave them below and i'll be sure to pass them on.

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful words - Karls you are an inspiration!
    Floss, I have that book - The five people that you meet in Heaven. It's a beautiful read, makes you really reflect on life and hope that you have some people out there that you will meet in Heaven. I think I might have to go and read it again!

    ReplyDelete

Thank You XX